Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Pcap] Fixed Valgrind error message.

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:25:24 -0700

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:46:23AM +0200, Luis MartinGarcia. wrote:
Hi,

I've been tracking down an error in libpcap reported by Valgrind.

Great!

I've just commited a patch that adds a simple memset() that initializes
a structure to zero. This makes the problem go away.

I've sent a report to the tcpdump-workers lists requesting the patch to
be applied to mainstream.

Good call.  It is a lot better to get it applied upstream than to
maintain a patch ourselves.

However, as the patch is so small and simple,
I'm applying it to our own version now. I hope this is OK.

You should probably add a comment to the line (maybe a link to your
email on seclists.org) and add the patch to NMAP_MODIFICATIONS as
well.  This helps when we do libpcap upgrades.

Also, if the Libpcap folks make the change, it is probably best to
just duplicate that exact change in our version.  Then you wouldn't
need the link or NMAP_MODIFICATIONS entry, so you could optionally
wait a few days for the Libpcap folks to respond rather than change
those files right now.

Wow, I didn't know you were redesigning TCPDump's web page!  I just
saw it at http://seclists.org/tcpdump/2010/q3/76.

Cheers,
Fyodor