Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] errors: path-mtu, dns-cache-snoop, and firewalk

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:54:33 -0500

On 10/18/2010 08:05 PM, Ron wrote:
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:58:35 -0500 Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com> wrote:
This will happen when Nmap cannot determine the MTU for the outgoing
interface.  path-mtu assumes errors from ip_send() are due to this
(not that it matters much) and drops to another MTU level and
continues.

Does "nmap --iflist" show the correct MTU for the interface on the
source machine?

This is my first thought since I know this behavior can occur this
way, so let me know and I'll think more on it if you see Nmap knows
the correct MTU but path-mtu is still causing this error.

Also, does the problem occur on a small scan?  If this is the
problem, it should cause an error for any path-mtu run over that
interface (not just on large scans).
Hey Kris,

I didn't really collect much information, I was hoping there'd be an obvious cause. What I *can* tell you is that it
didn't fail for every host, just for one or a couple.

I also exaggerated a little when I said a big scan -- it was only about 10 hosts (but with all ports, etc, so it was
more of a slow scan than a big one).

Here's the output of --iflist:
$ sudo ./nmap --iflist

Starting Nmap 5.35DC18 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-10-18 20:00 CDT
************************INTERFACES************************
DEV  (SHORT) IP/MASK         TYPE     UP MTU   MAC
lo   (lo)    127.0.0.1/8     loopback up 16436
eth1 (eth1)  192.168.1.18/24 ethernet up 1500  00:0C:29:55:50:31

**************************ROUTES**************************
DST/MASK       DEV  GATEWAY
192.168.1.0/24 eth1
127.0.0.0/8    lo
0.0.0.0/0      eth1 192.168.1.1

Thanks.  Sorry, I've been busy and I forgot about this.

If possible, can you find the smallest scan (hosts and ports) which still
causes this problem and send me the output with debugging and script/packet
tracing turned on (off-list with altered addresses if you want)?  I can search
through the output if you can't narrow it down much, but it would just be
helpful if you can find a single host and port which can still cause this, if
the problem can even occur that way.

I'll try to examine this as soon as I can after I receive it and get back to
you (and the list) with something.

Cheers,
Kris Katterjohn