Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Eliminating non-responsive hosts from XML output

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:22:05 -0700

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 08:59:32AM -0600, shorejsi2 () mmm com wrote:
 I have noticed that since moving from Nmap 4.xx to 5.xx the XML output
now contains information from every IP address in the scanned range, even
if it is just 'No response'. Is there a way to exclude these 'empty'
entries? On sparse subnets they make the output way bigger than it would
need to be.

I was surprised at this because those entries are only supposed to be
shown in verbose mode. But I tested it and the verbose mode requirement
is ignored when only doing host discovery. It's honored when doing
anything beyond that, such as a port scan. In short,

nmap -sS        doesn't show down hosts
nmap -sS -v     shows down hosts
nmap -sn        shows down hosts
nmap -sn -v     shows down hosts

I can't remember if this is by design or not. I've attached a patch that
changes the third line of the table to "doesn't show down hosts"; what
does everyone think?

David Fifield