Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: prerule and reading files

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:00:25 -0500

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Carlos Pantelides
<carlos_pantelides () yahoo com> wrote:
Estimad@s:

I've been studying the code of *brute.nse, unpwdb.lua, the documentation and the sample-script.nse. Then I analyzed
the behavior of telnet-brute.nse
 and confirmed that usernames and passwords files are read for every action() call.

I think that there is no need to reread, as every time the scripts will run the same set. Fix me if I am wrong,
please.

Have you encountered a problem prompting the desire to optimize this?
As I see it, the OS will cache the file so reopening it and reading it
all the way through dozens of times really doesn't matter at all.

By the way, you wouldn't use a prerule for this. You would just change
the library to open and save the contents of the file on loading the
library.

--
- Patrick Donnelly