Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on script documentation

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:49:08 +0000

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 02:19:12 -0800, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
I wouldn't call the 4 months and 3 days since the last dev release
"almost half a year"

Okay, so I might have slightly exaggerated there; it does feel like forever though ;)

should be able to get at least one more dev release out this year, and
a stable release early next year.

Sounds good to me. The move to VC++ 2010 (and Python 2.7) could potentially cause problems for Windows users. I'm pretty confident that we've done it correctly, but a dev release would allow more people to unearth any problems before a stable release (as Ron mentioned, Windows people are less likely to compile/run the latest code). I'm also interested to see if your Win7 build environment hits the same Zenmap build issue (or any new ones!) that I had compared to David's XP setup (as my "dll excludes" patch hasn't been commited to setup.py, and I don't want to commit it if it's something peculiar to my machines).

Same goes with the new NSE prerules/postrules, which will affect Nmap users on all platforms. I think that's looking really good now, but we haven't had a dev release since they were introduced to SVN.

Rob