Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap xml log file users/programs ????

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 05:47:48 -0600

On 12/21/10 9:29 PM, dave b wrote:
So like nmap can produce an xml log file output, compliant to
http://nmap.org/svn/docs/nmap.dtd .
However, I haven't really seen any 'convert nmap output to a database'
type programs (stand alone).
In addition, I haven't seen any (*CLI* - I don't want a gui :P) 'oh
lets show the output of that nmap xml log'.
I know there are some perl modules that do this but I am not a fan of perl.
So I started looking at writing my own simple parser(written in
python) that doesn't do much [0].
However, what seems 'broken' to me is the script output and elements.
You have something like this:
"<script id="ntp-monlist" output=" &#xa;  Tar...."(more output).
IMHO the output of a script should have the target information
separated out from the 'output' of the script.
Furthermore, some standard nodes for (xml) script output would be a
'nice to have'.

So really how many people are actually using the nmap xml file output
at all? -- and if so how!

Dave,

        I cant help with writing the output to a database, but I may
be able to help with parsing the XML at the command line.

Can you give examples of what you are trying to do with the XML data and
what your intended outputs are?  If you are trying to query the nmap data
for specific data (ports, OS, script output, etc) then there is a good
chance that Fathom [1] will do what you need.  If it is close, not but
quite right then let me know and I will see if I can add the functionality.

Tom Sellers

1. http://www.fadedcode.net/fathom/