Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Some scripts for analyzing NetBus

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:11:19 +0200

It is not a typo. The netbus-version script checks whether or not the
service responds to a netbus authentication message. Thus if the
service has already been detected as a netbus service and it does not
respond to authentication attempt, we know that it is not the official
service, and mark it as a Netbuster service. However we can not reason
much about some non-netbus service running on port 12345 that does not
respond to netbus authentication.

There are other differing characteristics as well, such as the
connection limit. A regular netbus server can handle more than one
connections, but Netbuster can only handle one. So trying to send
commands over multiple connections may be used to detect Netbuster. I
wrote another version script that does this test, but scanning for
connection limit is a bit complex, and I am not sure how reliable it
is in various cases. At some point it might make sense to write a
connection limit detection library, and use that to enhance version
script results. As for now I decided to go with the simpler script
that seems to work correctly.