Nmap Development mailing list archives

Version display: included vs. system libraries

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:56:20 -0800

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 11:51:33AM -0800, David Fifield wrote:
Great job! I made some more changes and committed this as r22206. I'll
follow up with ideas about indicating whether the Nmap-included versions
of the libraries are used or system versions.

Let's say I have configured this way:
        ./configure --without-openssl --without-liblua --with-libpcre=/usr \
                --with-libpcap=included --with-libdnet=included
We expect the output to be

Compiled with: libpcre-7.6 libpcap-0.9.8 libdnet-1.12 ipv6
Compiled without: liblua openssl

It would be nice to have an indication of whether libpcre, libpcap, and
libdnet are the versions that come packaged with Nmap or are from the
operating system. In this example, libpcap and libdnet are "included,"
and libpcre is not. Here are some ideas I've had.

1. Use a mark like an asterisk to show included libraries.

Compiled with: libpcre-7.6 *libpcap-0.9.8 *libdnet-1.12 ipv6
Compiled without: liblua openssl
* = Nmap included

2. Use a prefix like "nmap-".

Compiled with: libpcre-7.6 nmap-libpcap-0.9.8 nmap-libdnet-1.12 ipv6
Compiled without: liblua openssl

3. Use a separate output line. (Option 3' would be to have the included
libraries appear in both "Compiled with" lines, not just one.)

Compiled with (Nmap included): libpcap-0.9.8 libdnet-1.12
Compiled with: libpcre-7.6 ipv6
Compiled without: liblua openssl

Any comments or suggestions? The goal is mainly to help us on the dev
list troubleshoot people's problems, but also the output should be
informative and understandable to anyone who happens to run "nmap -V".

David Fifield