Nmap Development mailing list archives

symmetry in nping echo protocol

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:09:46 +0200

good day

I started exploring the world of nping echo today. It is an
interesting project, and I wonder if the service could be used as a
part for implementing future NAT traversal protocols and such. It is
similar to some techniques used in STUN and Teredo, but more general
purpose as it has not been designed for a single purpose in mind.

Would it make sense for the echo server to include information about
the message it is sending to the encrypted response packet, so one
could do some reasoning both ways by just looking at the client. I am
thinking about a new output line type RESP. After this change we would
have

SENT - the packet that was sent to server
CAPT - the packet the server received
RESP - the packet that the server sent back
RCVD - the packet that we received

The message that the server send back would contain information for
both CAPT and RESP.

  just a thought, --Toni