Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nping fails to build on Mac OS X <10.6 because openssl is too old.

From: Daniel Johnson <daniel.johnson31 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:26:57 -0500

On Jan 10, 2011, at 3:55 AM, Luis MartinGarcia. wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for reporting this. Nping requires SHA-256 for its "Echo Mode"
protocol but, as you may know, it is possible to disable cryptographic
support using:

./configure --with-openssl=no

Unfortunately there is no way to have crypto support without SHA-256, so
users with OpenSSL<=0.97 will have to upgrade (0.9.8 has been around for
almost 6 years so I expect systems with 0.9.7 or less to be a tiny
fraction)

You'd be surprised. There's still a lot of OS X 10.5 users around as that's the last version that supports ppc and
there are still a LOT of ppc Mac users.

Anyway, I've added a check for EVP_sha256() that aborts compilation in
case of failure. I attach a new version of configure.ac. Could you
please give a try and let me know if it works?

Thank you and best regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.

This looks fine, but as I only have OS X 10.6, which has openssl 0.9.8, I can't test.

Daniel