Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Requesting mentor for Nmap GSoC Idea

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:09:42 -0700

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 08:52:51PM +0530, Satheesh Kumar wrote:
Hi,
I am doing B.Tech  IT in Sri Venkateswara College of  Engineering, Chennai,
India.

I have an idea of doing a nmap scan over a wireless network without actually
joining any of the wireless networks
by sending customized packets(by utilization  any of the clients mac address
) over the air.
Does this idea worth getting into GSoC?
If yes can i get a mentor if google announces Gsoc for nmap.
Please send your comments on this.

Hello, thanks for your interest. Mentors aren't assigned until after
we've received and evaluated all the proposals. But you can ask
questions and get feedback on this mailing list as much as you want.

I think you'll need to say in more detail what you plan to do. What kind
of packets will you use? How is this different from a wireless stumbler
or Nmap's ARP scan (-sR)? What are the advantages and limitations of
your technique?

David Fifield