Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Gsoc Ipv6 implementation

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:40:12 -0700

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 03:21:32AM +0530, vinit agrawal wrote:
Hi all,

I am interested in the IPv6 expansion of the Nmap project as a part of Gsoc
2011. This is my first time in Gsoc.
I have some experience with the IPv6 protocol, as i have done some porting
work of the uIP stack in the embedded systems.
It is a micro Implementation of TCP/IP networking stack along with Ipv6 for
8-bit Microcontrollers . I have worked on Atmega128 porting for the same. In
that project i have read much of the RFC for IPv6.

Anyway for the project i am particularly interest in OS fingerprinting and
traceroute implementation, and then expansion of appropriate scripts. Please
let me know, if anyone else is also working on it. I want to know more about
the project and what kind of work is expected in the amount of summer time .

Hi, thanks for your interest. It sounds like you have good experience,
and you should highlight it in your proposal to your best advantage.

A good exercise for any applicant wanting to work on IPv6 would be to
read and comment on this short demonstration program, meant to be a
demonstration of portable raw IPv6 sending.
        svn co --username guest --password "" svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/david/ipv6
I am thinking to make these functions the primitives for raw IPv6
sending in Nmap.

As for how much work is expected, you should read the pages
        http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/home/google/gsoc2011/nmap
        http://nmap.org/soc/
        http://nmap.org/soc/GeneralRequirements.html
        http://nmap.org/soc/apply.html
You should treat it like a full-time job. (It's probably not going to
work to combine it with another job or internship.)

David Fifield