Nmap Development mailing list archives

GSoC Cloud Scanning Platform Proposal

From: Alexey Nayden <alexey.nayden () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:36:19 +0400

Greetings!

I'm very interested in Nmap Cloud Scanning Platform development. I've
read all the documents you have on that idea and it seems to be great.

A couple of words about myself: I live in St.Petersburg, Russia, study
at St.Petersburg State University, Mathemathics and Mechanics faculty,
Computer Science department. I mainly work with Ruby on Rails,
developing my own and some commercial projects from time to time. I
even have a couple of commits in rails core (very minimalistic to be
completely sincere), I've had a presentation at Piter.rb (local Ruby
developer conference) regarding low-level database access mechanisms
for Ruby (gem sequel).

Regarding the project, as you can see, Ruby on Rails is my primary
expertise, so I'd prefer to implement the platform with it, but, on
the other side, I have some Python skills (more like reading code, not
so much on writing it), and I'd gladly use "Rainmap" ideas and code in
my project.

I plan to resolve security issues (speaking of root privileges
required for nmap) with a small middle-tier application implementing
task queue (with rabbitMQ or Reddis, for instance) which takes tasks
from web-app and runs nmap in a root (chrooted, i think) environment.
Other tools I plan to use are CentOS, Nginx and Postgresql.

Please let me know, whether my application draft is adequate (and of
course I know offical application should be sent via GSoC website, not
that list); and if you have any questions about me myself, my plans or
my ideas on the technical side of the project — feel free to ask. I
plan to submit an official application tomorrow evening, unless I get
any objections in that list.

Thanks in advance!

With best wishes,
Alexey Nayden