Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: -sO for IPv6

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:51:56 -0700

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 07:08:18PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 05:40:27PM -0500, Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro) wrote:
2) Because of (1), 0, 43, 44 and 60 are erroneously reported as
"open|filtered", with reason "no-response". Actually, the thing is that
for the other ones being reported as "closed", the OS is indeed sending
back an ICMPv6(4,1) - but for those four I mention before, it's sending
back an ICMPv6(4,0) - which we aren't checking for as a return value.

Oops, you're right. In fact we are testing for ICMPv6(4, 0) (and marking
"open" in that case), but there is another bug that prevents that test
from happening.

3) On top - if a device between the nmap scanning host & the target is
filtering traffic for those protocols, the filtered protocols are being
reported as (again) "open|filtered", "no-response" - even when the
filtering device *does send back* an ICMPv6(1,1) - which again, looks
like we're not checking for.

We are checking for ICMPv6(1, 1) (dest unreachable, admin prohibited),
but it might not be taking effect due to the same bug I mentinoed above.

I think this bug is fixed in recent commits. I get "open" now in
response to protocol 44, ipv6-frag.

David Fifield