Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Minor change to "Chapter 8. Remote OS Detection"

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 18:31:32 +0200

On 05/07/2011 05:42 PM, Kris Katterjohn wrote:

Section 3.2.2 of RFC 1122 (Requirements for Internet Hosts):

"Every ICMP error message includes the Internet header and at
least the first 8 data octets of the datagram that triggered
the error; more than 8 octets MAY be sent; this header and data
MUST be unchanged from the received datagram."

This RFC updates and corrects some details in previous RFCs like 792
and 793,
and is the one implementations would follow for things like this, so just
changing the RFC number in Ch8 would be more accurate.

Thanks, Kris, you are right.

I wonder why the IETF hasn't marked RFC 792 as updated by 1122. I
usually follow the "updated by" path, but in this case, according to RFC
792, the only documents that update it are 4884 and 950.

I attach a patch that only updates the RFC identifier.

Regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.