Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SinFP OS fingerprinting

From: Abuse007 <abuse007 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 17:05:38 +1000

This is my understanding of the two tools: SinFP focuses on a single TCP port, whereas (correct me if I'm wrong) nmap
OS detection is based on the port scan of the IP address (the response to open and closed ports, TTL values, etc).

When only a single port is reachable or when NAT is being used to port forward SinFP can give better results. I like to
use a combination of tools and to compare the results. It either gives more confidence about a result or casts some
doubt on it.

Note: nmap service version detection is per port, so nmap's OS detection may indicate a completely different OS when
proxying etc is being used.