Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] bitcoin-enum-targets.nse - Enumerate bitcoin peers

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:00:36 -0700

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:34:46AM +0300, Sebastian Dragomir wrote:
Hi Brendan,

I've skimmed through your article. That sounds like an interesting idea.
A fast way to check for rogue clients is to test the NAMES command output
for nicknames that don't match the BitCoin client's template ('x' followed
by random 9 digit number or 'u' followed by 14-character base 58 string).

I've made a small fix so the full list of peers is parsed.

Thanks Sebastian.  This looks like a useful script for people to find
all the Bitcoin clients connected to the official Bitcoin client IRC
channel.  We probably won't distribute it with Nmap since this isn't a
common need (AFAIK) and because it doesn't relate to the
user-specified Nmap scan targets or the user's local network.  But I'm
glad it is available in the archives for people who need this
functionality for research or other purposes.

At some point, maybe we or someone else will create a special
repository for NSE scripts which are useful but not necessarily
appropriate to include with Nmap.

Thanks again,
Fyodor