Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Time to drop PowerPC support from our Mac binaries?

From: Claudio Moretti <flyingstar16 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:49:28 +0200

(5.99BETA1 is currently 29 megabytes).  And PowerPC users could still
use older Nmap releases.  If they can deal with using a 5+-year-old
machine and a 2+-year-old operating system, they can probably deal
with using an older Nmap.

Silly question: shouldn't they be able to compile it by themselves? Or is
there any limitation for it?
I've been compiling nmap by myself for a couple years, and it works like a
charm. If someone really needs the latest nmap version on a 5+-year-old
PowerPC he (or she) can compile it and use it.

And yes, you can call me a n00b for not knowing it. lol

If this is a possibility, then the PowerPC package may also be compiled and
distributed by itself, alongside with the Mac x86 one; then, if you want,
Fyodor, you can put a "dumb" download counter (click == download) linked to
the PowerPC version and see if there's someone downloading it or if it is
ready for dismissal.

Claudio