Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Patch : small extension to osscan2.cc and tcpip.cc to support ipv6

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 23:54:47 -0700

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 03:17:41AM +0200, Saad Talaat wrote:
The previous patch had some errors in ipv6 implementation so I fixed the ip6
header, and re implemented the tcpip.cc functions that are mentioned in the
Nmap file i sent before...

Thank you again for these patches. I had a lot of difficulty applying
them and then getting them to compile. Next time, please use "svn diff"
to generate a unified context diff--this will apply more easily when
there have been intermediate changes to the files. Also, avoid making
changes to whitespace or formatting--there are a lot of changes that
aren't really changes because you reindented some code or changed line
breaks. I've attached the patch that resulted for me. It applies against
r22915 of /nmap.

send_tcp6_raw_decoys doesn't look like it can work, because it uses
struct in_addr and o.decoys instead of structures that are capable of
holding an IPv6 address.

Maybe there was a mistake in generating the patch, but I found some
things that are clearly errors, like this:
        int num_probes_anum_probes_activective;
Therefore I'm not sure that the changes I needed to get it to compile
are completely correct.

I originally had the idea that this was a more or less complete patch
that transfered the IPv4 probes to IPv6. But it looks like it must have
been more of an experiment, is that correct? "nmap -6 -O" doesn't work,
so I can't see how to actually try it.

Luis and I are already in the middle of implementing a new IPv6 OS
detection engine, with different probes, a different method of matching,
and hopefully some efficiency improvements. These are in
/nmap-exp/luis/nmap-os6.

David Fifield