Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Regarding Port Scanner Intervals

From: dave bl <db.pub.mail () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:42:48 +1000

On 12 September 2011 19:22, Sam De <iamdeveloper2010 () gmail com> wrote:
Hello ALL,

I have studied all the techniques for port scanning attack.
I have some doubts as follows

I  hope this isn't your homework ;)

What should be the ideal duration for detecting port scan attack?

Well, hopefully not very long ;) (for example - even if you ignore the
obvious WHY ARE YOU HITTING all of these ports (and the rdns lookup) -
nmap with -sV scanning on port 80 will inform the web server that it
is nmap (in the user agent) ).

What are the latest methods for port scanning?

I think someone will be able to answer this question better than I
can, but I would think Asynchronous scanning would be all the hotness
(outside of nmap).