Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] New script krb5-enum-users

From: Duarte Silva <duarte.silva () serializing me>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:54:14 +0100

Hi,

after looking at Patrik new kerberos user enumeration script, it got me
tinkering about the categories of user enumeration scripts. After some
grep'ing I got the following categories (I may have missed some?).

domino-enum-users.nse:categories = {"intrusive", "auth"}
http-userdir-enum.nse:categories = {"discovery", "intrusive"}
krb5-enum-users.nse:categories = {"auth", "discovery", "safe"}
mysql-users.nse:categories = {"discovery", "intrusive"}
ncp-enum-users.nse:categories = {"discovery", "safe"}
oracle-enum-users.nse:categories = {"intrusive", "auth"}
sip-enum-users.nse:categories = {"intrusive", "auth"}
smb-enum-users.nse:categories = {"discovery","intrusive"}
smtp-enum-users.nse:categories = {"discovery","external","intrusive"}
snmp-win32-users.nse:categories = {"default", "discovery", "safe"}
http-wordpress-enum.nse:categories = {"discovery", "auth", "intrusive",
"vuln"}

Taking into account the NSE categories descriptions [1], with the exception of
snmp-win32-users.nse and ncp-enum-users.nse, all the scripts should, in my
opinion, be considered intrusive since they will brute force the user names.

The discovery category would be removed from all of them since we aren't
"discover(ing) more about the network by querying public registries".

All of them would be in the auth category. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Regards,
Duarte Silva

[1] http://nmap.org/book/nse-usage.html#nse-categories