Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [minor bug?] MAC Address vendor list is limited only to OUI

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 23:33:36 -0700

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 04:23:00PM +0200, Franco Lanza wrote:
Hello,
i've noticed that the MAC Address vendor prefixes "resolved" by nmap
are based on a local database of prefixes parsed from the OUI list
on the ieee web site.

This list is only for OUI, but a lot of minor company use a IAB address block.

IAB are Ieee self-assigned OUI blocks, where only the last 12bit are sub-assigned.

For example, the block 00:50:C2:E0:D0:00 - 00:50:C2:E0:DF:FF is an IAB
assigned to my own company, "Unixmedia S.r.l.", but on nmap
it show "Ieee Registration Authority" as the first 3 bytes
are registered as this OUI.

In my opinion nmap should also check for IAB when the OUI is Ieee.

This looks like a good idea. I think we would accept such a new feature
if somewas was to write a patch.

David Fifield