Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing: all 1000 ports filtered but tracert detects the device...why?

From: Dagobert Michelsen <dam () opencsw org>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:17:31 +0100

Hi Shea,

Am 15.01.2012 um 20:10 schrieb SheaO:
Great thanks for info I thought traceroute used same method as ping.

In fact "ping" uses ICMP echo and does also not require any open TCP
ports.

I will read that link, thanks a lot man!

The link references a book which is unfortunately not online,
but the page from the author. You may be able to google for an online
version, but I suggest buying the book as it is one of the rare books
you can grab out of the shelve every once in a while and always read
with great enjoyment and insight.

Best regards

  -- Dago

Dagobert Michelsen-3 wrote: