Nmap Development mailing list archives

wp-plugins.lst update

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 19:23:58 -0800

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 01:57:16PM +0100, Gutek wrote:

Le 29/02/2012 05:55, David Arrington a écrit :
Hi,

I just ran a test to a server trying to find the plugins that a wordpress
site is using.  I did this searching for the top 100 plugins only.  When I
did this the output showed all 100 plugins.  I know that not all of these
plugins are installed, so I must be using this script incorrectly.  Can
someone familiar with this script give me an example of how to use it to
find the plugins?  Is there something else I need to do to see which of
those 100 plugins are actually installed?

Thank you!

I've tried to reproduce this against a bunch of websites but with no
success. My guess is that you have found a special case that I didn't
test when writing this script. I also think that it has something to do
with the way your target handles 404 conditions, probably with some
custom page showing like a 200 (thereby fooling the script). That would
be interesting to investigate because this particular case should be
covered.
With the --script-trace that David has suggested, I'm also curious about
your target : I'd be glad if you reveal it (even privately, feel free to
mail me apart on that point) so I can figure it out on my own.

That said, please find attached an update for the Wordpress plugins
database. It has grown from some 14K plugins to 18.5K to date. There are
also numerous changes in the top 100.

Before it's included in the official Nmap release, users can simply
untar in their /nmap/nselib/data/ directory.

I have committed your new list. Can you share the procedure you use to
generate the list by popularity so we may document it?

I noticed while looking at the diff that the plugin "gtranslate" was
removed but a new one "gtrans" took its place. I'm assuming the plugin
just changed its name. Does this mean that sites using the older name
will not be detected?

David Fifield