Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] script to measure the time a website takes to deliver its pages

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:01:56 -0800

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 02:03:57PM +0100, Gutek wrote:

It first uses httpspider to take an instant measure on each page, then
query each url 5 times with an anti-cache trick to measure an average speed.
I'm not sure about a script name that could be consistent with the Nmap
scripts terminology, and about the categories as well: it's not DoS as
defined in the script categories, but it's DoS related...

Hi Gutek, I think this is a clever and useful script!  But I'm
wondering if it would make sense to just test the given page (e.g. the
default of "/" or the one specified by http-chrono.url) by default,
and then do the spidering by request.  Perhaps this could be done by
setting http-chrono.maxpagecount to 1 by default rather than 20.

That way the script gives an estimate of the web server's overall
speed by default (useful for comparing multiple web servers to find
the slow ones), but a user can easily specify a wider scan of many
paths on an individual webserver if desired.

Cheers,
-F