Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: wrong domain name from reverse DNS lookup

From: Pingzhong Li <PLi () fiberlink com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 10:38:34 -0400

These are the names that your DNS server returns. If you run
     ping x.x.7.29
you will probably see the same reverse names.

Thanks. I guess that our rDNS infrastructure is not setup completely to get the correct record here. What we are
thinking that we would do a forward DNS lookup for the domain name. If returned ip address is same as original ip
address, it would mean that we could trust the domain name, otherwise, it most probably is wrong and outdated
information.

Thanks,
Pingzhong

Fiberlink Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.