Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: libdnet problem with monitor mode interfaces

From: Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () opendz org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 18:11:59 +0100

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 08:10:58AM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to add this support to addr_ston? There is already
the same memcpy in addr_ston, but only for the types AF_UNSPEC and
ARP_HRD_ETH. Does adding ARPHRD_IEEE80211_RADIOTAP in addr_ston solve
the problem too?
Yes, defining the ARPHRD_IEEE80211_RADIOTAP solves this case, but what
if another use reports the same problem but with a different ARPHDR_* value ?

If we want to go this way then it seems that we can rely on
ARPHRD_IEEE80211_RADIOTAP, since it's also used outside the kernel, the
madwifi driver and the batctl (B.A.T.M.A.N. control tool):
https://lists.open-mesh.org/pipermail/b.a.t.m.a.n/2011-February/004144.html

Linux Ref: http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=ARPHRD_IEEE80211_RADIOTAP

Patch is attached, the --iflist will show the monitor interface and
hopefully Nmap will peekup the right one.

To test it, just create the monitor interface like this
(it should work with phy0 and adjust mon1):
# iw phy phy0 interface add mon1 type monitor

addr_ston converts a struct sockaddr to libdnet's own struct addr.
addr_ntos goes the other direction. I remember them as "sockaddr to
numeric" and "numeric to sockaddr."
Thanks for the clarification.

--
tixxdz