Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: luaffi for Nmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:25:25 -0700

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:37:47AM -0400, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
I later brought up the fourth option which is luaffi. I believe it's a
possible mechanism for binding libraries to Nmap using plain Lua code.
It would definitely help with generating difficult scripts more
quickly as the libraries for a particular protocol, e.g. ssh, can be
quickly bound and used so the actual task (whatever that may be) can
be achieved. [For example, the binding for the compression library
zlib is quite small [7].] Best of all, there is no bloating of Nmap as
these libraries can be conditionally bound at runtime. In fact, if the
library is not available, a smart script will abort running at all
without causing a fuss.

luaffi sounds like a reasonable choice for a libssh2 binding. I think
that practically speaking, it's going to depend on what whoever's
implementing it is most comfortable with.

David Fifield