Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE][RFC] New cipher strength ratings for ssl-enum-ciphers

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:31:47 -0700

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 02:00:37PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
List,

As I was wrapping up work on ssl-enum-ciphers, I decided to add to
the existing cipher strength rankings in nselib/data/ssl-ciphers.
Previously, this file only contained ciphers ranked "strong." I
added cipher suites that could be classified as "weak" (based on
export-grade crypto), "no_authentication" (aNULL or Anonymous DH),
"no_encryption" (eNULL), and various combinations of these. I also
spent a little time cleaning up the ranking code, but no functional
changes there.

I'm attaching the patch for this change, so any feedback would be
helpful, especially additional ciphers to consider "strong," since
many were added since the original list was put together. Thanks!

Is this patch reversed?

It looks reasonable to me. Patrik's suggestion to check against the SSL
Rating Guide is a good one. Also, a previous thread turned up this list
of strength ratings, which were never used:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q2/49
https://code.google.com/p/sslaudit/source/browse/trunk/sslaudit.ini

David Fifield