Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: lingering problem: route_dst_netlink: can't find interface

From: starlight.2012q3 () binnacle cx
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:22:07 -0400

Thanks!  The patch works.  'nmap' starts
up fine and functions as expected on Ethernet
interfaces.  Shows the chopped MAC address
for ib0 an ib1 with --iflist.

As expected, IB networks can be scanned
with --send-ip.  Seems perfectly fine.

--send-eth fails to detect other systems
on the IB subnets.  Strangely it does
work for the local IB interface.  Possibly
that's a linux kernel bug since really
it should not.  Or possibly since the
frames are local the MAC layer is entirely
ignored.

Since use of IB is relatively rare at stable
or declining levels (10G and 40G Ethernet
work well) I'd say this degree of support is
"good enough."  Perhaps 'nmap' can sense
when it's asked to route over an IB
interface (or a non-Ethernet interface)
and automatically apply --send-ip.