Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap v6.00: Strange connect error from 192.168.1.1 (10048): Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. Assertion failed: 0, file src\nsock_core.c, line 364

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:18:42 -0700

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 08:33:32PM +0000, Jeff Kayser wrote:
Thank you for putting out such a fabulous tool, and making it free.  I
am not a network security expert, but I play around a little, and so I
wanted to try out nmap v6.00.  After trying it for a while, I
encountered an error.  You probably already know about this error, but
just in case, I am submitted a problem report.

Issue:

Strange connect error from 192.168.1.1 (10048): Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
is normally permitted. Assertion failed: 0, file src\nsock_core.c, line 364

I added error 10048, WSAEADDRINUSE, to the list of known error codes in
r29722. This means that scripts that used to cause the assertion failure
will now only see a socket error.

This problem happens when two scripts bind to the same local port and
connect to the same remote host and port. I was not able to find which
of our scripts is causing the problem. I was able to reproduce it using
the attached scripts a.nse and b.nse, run like

nmap --script=a,b <target>

David Fifield