Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: BUG? Socket troubles: Too many open files.

From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:55:52 -0500

Hi

An additional info that may help, when I execute with -sS instead of -sT I
get this:

false   MSRPC call returned a fault (packet type)
false   MSRPC call returned a fault (packet type)
Socket troubles: Too many open files
nmap: nsock_core.c:1187: nsp_add_event: Assertion `nse->iod->sd >= 0'
failed.
Aborted

Starting Nmap 6.02 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-10-18 13:20 CDT
Pre-scan script results:
| broadcast-avahi-dos:
|   Discovered hosts:
|     10.0.0.32
|     10.0.0.98
|   After NULL UDP avahi packet DoS (CVE-2011-1002).
|_  Hosts are all up (not vulnerable).
Killed

Note that after the errors it's being killed (by kernel?). Is there a
workaround for it? Do you guess what script may be causing it? I would try
disable it to see if the issue is solved as a workaround.

Thanks.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Richard Miles <