Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New Nping! Call for testers...

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:59:22 -0800

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:39:34PM +0100, Luis MartinGarcia. wrote:
I am glad to announce that the new version of Nping is ready to be
tested. This version is a major rewrite of important parts of the tool
and brings some new exciting functionality. Please see below for the
changelog.

To test it, run the following:

svn co https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/luis/nmap-npingchanges
cd nmap-npingchanges
./configure && make
sudo make install

It's great, Luis, that you are ready for testing of this branch.

I looked at the diff, and as expected, it is big:
$ svn diff https://svn.nmap.org/nmap@30271 https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/luis/nmap-npingchanges@30275 | diffstat

This is too big to discuss and merge as a whole. Luckily, I think we can
make it easier to manage. Which of these changes can be quickly merged
individually? I propose that you create many single-purpose branches or
patches that can be reviewed on their own. Let us start with the easy,
obvious ones, simply to reduce the size of the diff.

For example, this is a no-brainer to apply directly to the trunk and
eliminate this difference with your branch:
 /* For backwards compatibility with nmap's code */
 int fatal(const char *str, ...)
+     __attribute__ ((noreturn))
      __attribute__ ((format (printf, 1, 2)));

Some other likely easy merges I found in your list of changes (there are
more, these are just examples):
[+] Fixed important bug in the Nping Echo Server. The IP Identification
    field in NEP_PACKET_SPEC packets was being sent in host byte order.
    The echo server was expecting network byte order and therefore, the
    Identification field was never being matched. Embarrassing...
[+] Added the ability to set the IPv4 reserved flag (X flag).
[+] Now, in low detail mode (the default), when the ACK flag is set,
    the value in the TCP Acknowledgment field gets printed out.
[+] Now, if users pass a hostname, it gets printed in the stats. Before,
    only the IP addresses were shown.
[+] Multiple minor bugfixes.

I'd like you to make a separate branch or patch for each logically
separate patch. Once the easy ones are done, let's focus on bigger topic
branches for changes like the change from ProbeMode to ProbeEngine.

David Fifield