Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Port specification feature request: +p

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:54:34 -0800

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 07:56:28PM -0500, Hank Leininger wrote:
Often I want to scan the default list of ports, plus a handful of
specific ones.

I don't know a clean way to do this; currently I either:

- manually specify all the ports I want to scan (0-1024 is easy, but the
  others?  meh.)
- hack my /usr/share/nmap/nmap-services to add the ports in question
  (forget to propagate to other boxes, lose after the next upgrade, etc)
- run one nmap scan with default ports selected, and a second scan for
  the additional ones that I care about
- write an ugly one-liner to extract ports manually from nmap-services,
  and stir in the ones I want (and lose the list & the one-liner by the
  next time this comes up)
- scan all the ports! (because I would probably end up doing so later in
  the engagement anyway, but means I wait longer for initial results)

Is there a better way?  Assuming not, how about an enhancement to the
port-specification options, to allow you to either do:

  nmap +p 56565

or

  nmap -p +56565

Either of which would mean "Add the specified port(s) to the list nmap
would otherwise use" (the default list, if nothing else is specified, or
the Fast list if -F was specified, etc).

Is there
a)interest from others in this feature,
b)no objection from nmap core devs to such a thing,
c)interest/bandwidth by an existing nmap hacker to add such a thing?

I think that this is a good feature. I would rather not introduce new
syntax. I think just plain -p should take the union of the -p list and
whatever Nmap would otherwise use. Likewise you should be able to use -p
more than once.

-p 56565                        scans 1 port
--top-ports 1000 -p 56565       scans 1001 ports
--top-ports 1000 -p 80          scans 1000 ports
-F -p 56565                     scans 100 ports

(c) above is likely false, so we would welcome a patch.

David Fifield