Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Why 232 rounds?

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 19:34:53 +0200

On 09/17/2012 10:59 PM, Fyodor wrote:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:56:00PM +0100, Luis MartinGarcia. wrote:
Maybe I need
to build it differently or something, but I just get a seg fault when
I try to run it.
Interesting. I have added a few assert()s and debug messages. Could you
please update the whole branch (including nmap and libnetutil), and try
to run it again passing "-d4". The debug output may help me narrow the
problem.
Hi Luis.  I've upgraded to Fedora 17 from 16 (including the newer
compiler versions) and I can't reproduce the segfault any more, even
with the svn code from September 12.  However, I did notice one
potential regression since r29763.  With that version (or current Nmap
trunk), nping as a normal user works fine (uses TCP connect ping).
But with the latest svn nmap-npingchanges, I get this:

[fyodor@hax nmap-npingchanges]$ nping/nping scanme.nmap.org

Starting Nping 0.5.61TEST4 ( http://nmap.org/nping ) at 2012-09-17 13:58 PDT
pcap_open_live(em1, 8192, 0, 200) FAILED. Reported error: em1: You don't have permission to capture on that device
(socket: Operation not permitted). Will wait 4 seconds then retry.
pcap_open_live(em1, 8192, 0, 200) FAILED. Reported error: em1: You don't have permission to capture on that device
(socket: Operation not permitted). Will wait 8 seconds then retry.
Call to pcap_open_live(em1, 8192, 0, 200) failed three times. Reported error: em1: You don't have permission to
capture on that device (socket: Operation not permitted)
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe af_packet or recompile your kernel with PACKET
enabled.
*BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile your kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter
support.  If you are getting No such file or directory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev; MAKEDEV <device>; or use
mknod).
*WINDOWS:  Nmap only supports ethernet interfaces on Windows for most operations because Microsoft disabled raw
sockets as of Windows XP SP2.  Depending on the reason for this error, it is possible that the --unprivileged
command-line argument will help.
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0: No such file or directory', complain to Sun.  I
don't think Solaris can support advanced localhost scans.  You can probably use "-PN -sT localhost" though.

Error opening capture device em1 --> nsock-pcap: can't open pcap! Are you root?

Cheers,
Fyodor

Hi,

I am happy to report that as of r30027, the issue Fyodor reported, is
fixed. Could you please svn update and try again?

Regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.