Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Order ciphers in preferred server order for ssl-enum-ciphers.nse

From: Richard van den Berg <richard () vdberg org>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:31:03 +0100

Can you answer whether this order will always be the
same for a given server's configuration?

Absolutely. Most SSL servers have a way to configure the order of cipher preference. And even the ones that don't will
use the same algorithm for every SSL connection.

Right now, the reason we sort
them is to allow the scans to be diffed. I think the ordering
information is very good info to have, but I want to be sure that it's
consistent (i.e. two scans of the same host yield the same result).

That should be no problem whatsoever, except when diffing results before and and after my patch is applied of course.

Cheers,

Richard