Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC Carna analysis + research + optimization role: looking for feedback

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:55:51 -0700

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:30:53PM +1000, Stephen Caraher wrote:
Any suggestions/questions/comments on these ideas would me much
appreciated. I also have the following questions:

* Are there specific things people would already like to do with the
Carna data? (if so, I could implement or help on implementing them)

* What will the large scale scanning research involve?

* Does working with the Carna data and large scale scanning research
constitute enough work for a full GSoC term? (if not, I would also
want to work on implementing optimizations based on memory, I/O, and
performance profiling as mentioned on the wiki)

All I've really thought of for the Carna data is to improve the top
ports list. This is probably a good match for a Hadoop/MapReduce model,
or even just a single host with a lot of RAM that can grind away parsign
XML files. We have some existing programs to do this, from when we built
the top ports list initially.

My impression is that building an analysis infrastructure won't take a
whole summer. Depending on what interesting things you propose, the
analysis itself might take a summer. Otherwise, as you say, there are
other performance things to take care of.

David Fifield