Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap GUI redesign task for GSOC2013

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:09:06 -0700

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:46:19AM +0000, Костадин Хаџибанов wrote:
I feel I havent introduced properly the last time, my name is Kostadin
Hadzhibanov and I'm am a Computer Science undergraduate student and
some of my areas of interest include graphic design, interactive
application and user interface design.

I would like to consult a mentor about the level of redesign the
Zenmap GUI task would entail, as I have quite a few ideas myself and
some rough drafts about the design.
I sent a message to this mailing list a few days ago, but it remained
unanswered by the mentors, unfortunately.

However, I took my time and marked the areas that can be improved
upon. My main focus was on simplifying the interface, though it would
be nice to consult the mentor about the Zenmap user base and  other
general stuff, to decide for example, if splitting it to a
"Simplified" and "Advanced" user interface is a good idea, etc.

Would you share your list of things to be improved on? We would be
interested in seeing it. A simpler interface is better, all other things
being equal.

Have you made sketches or mockups of what the interface might look like?
If so, those are good to have us comment on, and should definitely be
part of your proposal.

A split simplified/advanced interface is not likely. Zenmap used to have
a novice/expert mode and it was one of the things we removed during GSoC
2009.

I suppose this a good place to send the rest of my ideas for feedback
before I submit my application?

This is the right place to get comments on your ideas.

David Fifield