Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How to contribute to Nmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:44:44 -0700

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 02:24:04PM -0400, Wooyoung Chung wrote:
My name is Wooyoung Chung, and I'm currently graduate student
concentrating Digital Forensics in James Madison University. I've
used nmap for a while to play with it such as do some port scanning
on random website and tried to find a vulnerability if any exist.
What I would like to do for now is gaining some real experience on
open source and contributing starts from bug fixing. By all mean,
I'm looking forward to join the developer community and work on it
actively. I was looking for bug tracker for nmap but I couldn't find
it.
It will be great if I can find a mentor who can help me out actively
for contributing nmap.

Since you are a student, you should know about the Summer of Code:

http://nmap.org/soc/
http://nmap.org/soc/GeneralRequirements.html
http://nmap.org/soc/apply.html
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/nmap

We don't have a bug tracker but we keep track of things to do in a
versioned file:

https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/todo/nmap.txt

A good place to start is by looking at the source code at a high level
in nmap_main.cc and seeing what functions get called. The easiest way to
get involved in development these days is in the scripting engine,
http://nmap.org/book/nse.html.

David Fifield