Nmap Development mailing list archives

VMware-fingerprint nse

From: Mark Baseggio <info () baseggio ca>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:14:29 -0400

Hello folks,

I've created a nse that fingerprints vmware ESX/ESXi servers. This is my
first foray into both Lua and nmap scripting, so please excuse any noob
mistakes I might have made with this--I tried to follow the examples and
tutorials as closely as possible. I would like to submit it for inclusion
in nmap so others can benefit from it as well.

I "borrowed" the method from the Metasploit module with the orignal
author's blessing.

Two things I am not sure of, if I should expand the script to attempt the
fingerprint on ports other than 443, and also if I should be using OS
detection as well in my portrule. I decided that I should submit it to the
list for your thoughts and feedback.

Just in case the file attachment doesn't work it's available on my dropbox
here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2180650/vmware-fingerprint.nse

Thanks very much,
Mark