Nmap Development mailing list archives

DNS over TCP (scripts don't work)

From: Mark Baseggio <mark () baseggio ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:02:45 -0400

Greetings,

I was recently on an network that exclusively used TCP/53 for DNS. All of
the nmap scripts seem to be coded to only work if DNS is running over UDP.

After snooping around the source of these scripts I noticed that the
dns.lua library is designed to work only on UDP. I'm wondering if there is
any interest in expanding the library to work via either TCP or UDP based
on the protocol detected during the scan.

While I'm a bit of a noob to nmap scripting I think I should be able to
hack something together. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any
interest or maybe someone's already done this.

Thanks
Mark