Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows bug in d33tah/ncat-env-ncatins, possibly SSL-related

From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 20:33:08 +0200

2013/8/7 David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>:
On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:00:16PM +0200, Jacek Wielemborek wrote:
While testing my d33tah/ncat-env-ncatins branch, I noticed a Windows
bug that I have problems tracking down. In order to reproduce it,
compile Ncat from my SVN branch under MSVC and run ncat --ssl --listen
--lua-exec scripts/hello-ncatout.lua. Then, connect to the spawned
server and instead of writing to the server's terminal ("ncatin"),
write to the SSL connection. hello-ncatout.lua will not expect this
and won't read the data, but instead of keeping it in the buffer, it
will fail with the exit code 259. Here's the debug output:

There are some previous threads

"Re: Ncat File Transfer Brokenness"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/731
"Re: Cannot forward RDP using ncat"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q3/47

David Fifield

There's another interesting pointer - ncat -l --ssl without --*-exec
works fine and when I ran under Cygwin:

[d33tah-win7][~/shared/ncat/ncat-env-ncatins/ncat] $ Debug/ncat.exe
--ssl --sh-exec "cat" -l
(connecting to it, writing something)
cat: write error: No space left on device

Also, Gisle Vanem wrote me a private e-mail in which he suggests it
might (as in: not investigated, but possible) be a problem with
OpenSSL using socket() and not WSASocket().