Nmap Development mailing list archives

Yang's status report - #13 of 16

From: "veotax" <hsluoyz () qq com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 03:54:38 +0800

Hi everyone,
Here's my status report for week #13.

Happy to say that the WinPcap porting job is finished now and still need further test. I have tested it under Win7 and
Win8, and it works well for me. The FilterAttach issue left last week turns out to be a Windows 8 Bug, you can see the
thread here for details:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18295761/ndis-filter-drivers-filterattach-routine-isnt-called-under-windows-8
I'm reporting it to Microsoft. But now I have to use a way to work around this problem, as it is quite a long time
waiting for Win8 SP1. My solution is to change the StartType of the driver inf file from 3 (SERVICE_DEMAND_START) to 1
(SERVICE_SYSTEM_START). The side effect of this workaround is that it will make the "start the npf driver now" option
of the installer invalid. But I found the official WinPcap installer already removed this option. So I think this
doesn't matter much.
Also I removed some other bugs, cleared up the code and wrote most comments with the same style as the original
version. I hope the "user experience" of this version WinPcap is just like the original one. Moreover, the SVN history
tree is rearranged, so its changes can be read more easily by others.
At last is the call for testing part, you can click the installer link below to try the new WinPcap:

Revision 32149

The entire code base:
https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-LWF

The installer only:
https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-LWF/installer/winpcap-nmap-4.1.3-NDIS6-1.2.0.exe

Accomplishments:

* Rearranged the SVN source tree.

* Removed the FilterAttach bug and some other bugs.

* Modified the NSIS installer to adapt to the inf StartType change.

* Wrote the comments of the new WinPcap.

Priorities:

* Finish other tasks.

* write comments for NPcap.

* Have a meeting with my mentor for the next step.

Cheers,
Yang Luo
http://veotax.com