Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SVN build broken

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 21:19:53 -0600

On 11/14/13, Forrest Aldrich <forrie () gmail com> wrote:
This build has been broken for some time -- at least more than a week.
Is this getting fixed?  Am I missing something.   I double-checked with
a fresh checkout and on multiple systems, the problem still persists.

cd libnetutil && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/nmap/libnetutil'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/nmap/libnetutil'
make nmap build-zenmap build-ndiff build-nping
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/nmap'
g++ -c -I./liblinear -I./liblua -I./libdnet-stripped/include -I./nbase
-I./nsock/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DNMAP_NAME=\"Nmap\"
-DNMAP_URL=\"http://nmap.org\"; -DNMAP_PLATFORM=\"i686-pc-linux-gnu\"
-DNMAPDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/nmap\" -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -O2 -Wall
-fno-strict-aliasing   osscan2.cc -o osscan2.o
osscan2.cc:349: error: integer constant is too large for 'long' type
FPEngine.h:251: warning: 'class FPEngine' has virtual functions but
non-virtual destructor
FPEngine.h:271: warning: 'class FPEngine6' has virtual functions but
non-virtual destructor
make[1]: *** [osscan2.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/nmap'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Forrest,

I'm not seeing that error with GCC 4.6.3 on Ubuntu 12.04. What compiler and
architecture are you using? Is there anything special about your setup?

As a possible fix, I'm attaching a patch that changes many of the IP ID storage
contaners to use unsigned 32-bit integers instead of signed native integers, to
be more consistent. This eliminates the large constant on that line as well as
the need for a wrapping check at that point. I've tested it a little, but it
could stand some more critical eyes and testing before it gets committed.

Dan