Nmap Development mailing list archives

Net block scanning

From: Robin Cernin <cerninr () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:12:16 +0100

Hi devs, Fyodor and all volunteers,

question about network block scans. I got approval from IPs owner to
perform scan that will identify which hosts are live in there network
and identify domain, ssh, smtp, ms-term-services, http, https and grab
their versions so we can identify possible exposed outofdate service
so we can safely find and patch those. I do not want to do anything
unethical.

Right now its total 65 thousand of IPs.
I do not want to lift much eyebrows on this. Would anyone give me
pointers like bandwith, packets per seconds, which scan would give
accurate results. Should that be also discussed with the ISP on my
side +  the ISP on the other end so I won't melt their switches?

Also question is Nmap fast enough or shall I use something like Zmap for this.

Thank you in advanced,
Best Regards