Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Resubmitting: Upgrade libpcap to 1.5.3

From: Jay Bosamiya <jaybosamiya () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:20:08 +0530

On 19 Mar 2014 23:07:18 +0100, Gisle Vanem wrote:
It seems the lack of response on your diffs (here on dev () nmap org) has
(1) something to with the size of your diffs. Almost 1 MByte uncompressed!
E.g. diffs of libpcap/scanner.c and libpcap/grammar.c are totally unneededsince those files are generated from libpcap/scanner.l and libpcap/grammar.y.
The main chunk of the diffs is from the 1.5.3 update.
I haven't written those. I have only written the changes to libpcap/NMAP_MODIFICATIONS. This is there in my older mail [1]. I have also put that up as a github gist now [2].
The big patch [3] is just me running all the steps of the smaller patch [2].
So for reviewing the patch, it is necessary only to see [2] but to make the process painless to patch, there is [3].
(2) Or. I don't know if you got some private replied to your patches. It's hard to tell
since the way this mailing-list is setup; there is no 'Reply-to:' header. Hence manymailers (including my good old Outlook Express) send a reply (by default) to the'From:' (i.e. you) address. So a discussion could easily die out quickly.
Nope, no private replies. But btw, "Reply to all" is a useful thing and I've been using that in Thunderbird. It automatically puts dev () nmap org into the Cc list for me.
(3) Since there's no bug-tracker, it's possible that good ideas and bug-report gets
  forgotten or simply ignored due to lack of time or interest from the maintainer(s).
Your guess is as good as mine.
But there are other important ideas here:
  http://nmap.org/soc/index.html

(not only athttps://svn.nmap.org/nmap/todo/nmap.txt)

Especially the "parallelized Nmap's forward DNS". It would be nice to have C-ares,GNU-adns or some other DNS-lib do this. No need to reinvent the wheel. Butmaybe someone is afraid of yet another external dependency. I cannot see any
problem with that.

--gv
I have looked into that page. In fact I was thinking that it (parallelized Nmap's forwad DNS) could be part of my SoC project. I am polishing up my proposal right now, and will post to the list for feedback (just hope it's not too late for any reviews).

Regards
Jay

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2014/q1/184
[2] https://gist.github.com/jaybosamiya/3c42e7e26701c2e2531b