Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap's XSL headers ignored in Firefox

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 14:45:42 +0100

07/01/2014 22:27:23 Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>:
List,

I just tried to generate a few Nmap XML files and noticed that Firefox
doesn't seem to load them. I tried to bug the #firefox guys on Mozilla's
IRC channel, but got no meaningful reply. Here's what I tried:

1.

nmap localhost -oX file.xml --webxml && firefox file.xml

Gives an "unknown error" (805303f4) message. Google suggests that it's
because Firefox doesn't read external XSL's by default.

2.

nmap localhost -oX file.xml && firefox file.xml

Results in a blank webpage. Tried to replace "/usr/bin/../share" with
"/usr/share" in the file, no help.

Just checked in Google Chrome. Both steps 2 and 1 give a blank page. So does
setting the path to nmap.xsl or, say, file:///tmp/xsl/nmap.xsl. The only way I
managed to get it working is by uploading it to a web server with XSL pointing
to the same directory (hadn't tried other options). Here's how I found a tip
that led me to checking that:

http://stackoverflow.com/q/7154507/1091116

I'm starting to think that the Nmap XML files should contain no XSL by default.