Nmap Development mailing list archives

Ncat anomaly

From: CLOSE Dave <Dave.Close () us thalesgroup com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:35:37 -0700

I have a Fedora 20 machine which is receiving UDP broadcast packets at
regular intervals on a high port. I have a program which is trying to
receive these packets and failing to do so. As part of the bug
investigation, I checked to see of Ncat would receive them. It doesn't.

My program is not running and no other program is presently listening
for these packets. If I run, "tcpdump -i eth0 port 29531", I see each of
the packets arriving just as I expect. Note, the packets are not empty
and contain mostly ASCII characters.

But if I then run, "nc -lu 29531", I don't see anything! Why not? What
obvious thing am I missing?

This same operation works better (but still not as I expect) on Fedora
14. NC shows one packet arriving but then doesn't show any more. I don't
care of that old version of NC works or not but I include this datum in
case it helps diagnose the problem.

Running NC under strace on both machines, I see F14 NC seems to use
poll(2). It outputs one packet then hangs on poll. F20 NC seems to use
select(2). It hangs on the first call.

Manually generated broadcast packets using both NC and SOCAT are
received and shown by NC. However, those arrive on a different
interface. The packets NC doesn't see arrive on an interface to a closed
proprietary network. None of the machines on that network offer the
opportunity to generate ad hoc packets with SOCAT. One does offer NC but
a packet generated using it (echo 'Hello there!' | nc -u 255.255.255.255
29531) is not received by either tcpdump or NC.

SELinux and the firewall are disabled on both the F20 and F14 machines.

Details:

# uname -a
Linux pses16d 3.14.6-200.fc20.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Jun 8 01:21:56 UTC 2014
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# rpm -q nmap-ncat
nmap-ncat-6.45-1.fc20.x86_64

# uname -a
Linux pses00b 3.3.4-5.thales1.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 23 20:01:27 PDT
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# rpm -q nc
nc-1.100-2.fc14.x86_64

Attached is a short pcap file containing a few of the packets NC does
not see and one of those generated using SOCAT that NC does see.
--
Dave Close, Thales Avionics, Irvine California USA.
cell +1 949 394 2124, dave.close () us thalesgroup com

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind,
of what then is an empty desk?" --Albert Einstein