Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ndiff shebang changes when installing from source nmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 07:43:08 -0700

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 01:17:52PM +0200, Thomas Bouve wrote:

I was wondering what the reasoning is behind changing the shebang line
in the ‘ndiff' script when compiling and installing nmap from source.

The ‘ndiff' script found in ‘nmap-6.46/ndiff/scripts/ndiff’ has
'#!/usr/bin/env python’ set as the first line. But after running
'./configure; make; make install' the installed ’ndiff' script has a
different shebang. In my case it’s changed to
'#!/Users/crahan/.pyenv/versions/2.7.8/bin/python’ (I use pyenv for
testing Python projects).

It’s puzzling to me, especially since the ‘ndiff.py’ script which
‘ndiff’ calls still points to '#!/usr/bin/env python’ after
installation.

It’s probably by design. But I’d love the hear the reasoning for this.

It is not really by design, but it is a side effect of Python distutils
(the installation infrastructure called by setup.py). Most Python
packages work the same way.

You can find some information by searching for "distutils shebang" or
"setuptools shebang":
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1530702/dont-touch-my-shebang
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2008-April/009283.html

David Fifield