Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 6.47 compile failure on AIX 7100-03

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:17:47 -0500

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
wrote:

* Features involving libpcap do not seem to work outside localhost, but
that may be an artifact of my environment. If you can, please try this
command out (as root) and reply with the output: nmap -A -d
scanme.nmap.org

Looking for a response from some other devs on the mailing list for this
one:

Ok, the reason this is failing on my system is that the SYNACK response has
some odd TCP options that fail validation in validateTCPhdr() in tcpip.cc.
Specifically, the options section is:

0204 0564 010e 0303

with a 2-byte trailer outside the packet boundary that is random. The "0204
0564" is MSS, and parses just fine. Then there's a NOP "01" followed by an
unknown option "0e". validateTCPhdr() skips this like a NOP, then finds
"0303" which is Window Scale and should be followed by a 1-byte value.
However, that's the end of the packet and so it's invalid.
Wireshark/tcpdump treat "0e" as an "unknown option" and assume it takes up
the next 2 bytes (or the rest of the packet).

Given this, perhaps we should adopt a similar validation mechanism? The
extra data appears to be added to SYNACK responses to -sT, also, and those
work just fine, so it's not hampering a TCP connection. Thoughts?

Dan